Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sleepless Nights and Thanks

I don't know what the deal is, but I have had a slew of sleepless nights lately. During the school year, I didn't have a lot of nights like this, but now that school is over it is like my body realizes I don't have to sit in class or work all day and it doesn't want to shut down for the night. Oh well. I'll make due and hope I can find the ol' rhythm when things get back to a heavier grind. For now, I will continue to sit up at night and think about the opportunity I have to teach my own course this summer. That is what seems to dominate my thought while I am sitting around trying to trick my body into thinking it is tired.

I really do feel blessed to have my own class. It was a little over 6 years ago that I decided I wanted to be a teacher. (I say teacher instead of professor because I want to teach, not profess) Since that decision, I have tried hard to orient my life in the direction that would someday get me to the front of a classroom and that day is approaching quickly. I am still a few years off of really achieving my goal and getting a real paycheck, but I can't help but get really excited for my first crack at it, and I don't mean the paycheck thing. My adult life is a pretty small chunk of time, but this is what I have been hoping for and working towards for that time and I cannot wait for it to be here. Its like when I was little and played the dreidel while waiting up at night for Santa to come. Oh, the good old days.

Anyway, the reason I am blabbering about this is to say thank you. Chances are, if you are reading this, you have played a significant part in my life at some point and I cannot take credit for my successes as I, in part, am a sum of those that have surrounded me. So thank you.

9 comments:

Cristi said...

Your welcome for playing such a significant role in your life. just kidding! :)

The Trevor said...

you're very welcome Lish.

not kidding at all. kinda upset it took you so long to thank me.

Unknown said...

You played the dreidel while waiting up for Santa? That's a little sac religious, isn't it? Just kidding. I like celebrating Hanuka. And I take no credit. You were wonderful before I met you.

Jason, Tiff and the Kids said...

Lish...
Not that I was ever worried, but it's wonderful to read and see photos of what a great man you have become! Thank you for being a terrific example to my boys. You turned out ok!!!
Love Tiff

Cristi said...

Actually, here here! I'm upset you took so long to thank me, too!

Carrie said...

Congratulations, Lish! That is awesome that you get to teach a class (and I like that you want to teach and not profess!) You will be a fantastic teacher - it fits you perfectly.

Hey what are your and Whitney's email addresses so I can add them to the list of people who can see our blog? I'm in the process of "going private" and wanted to make sure you guys on there!

Carrie said...

P.S. You can email it to me if you don't want to post it for all to see on my comments page! carehunny@gmail.com.

Oh and P.P.S. I forgot that Maggie lives in Arlington! She's only like a half an hour away from us! Next time y'all get together maybe we can meet up in The District and par-tay! :)

Ashley Garbe Smith said...

(Read in Will ferrel gay accent)No Lish I wasn't wearing pants under my robe. The only thing I was wearing was the black speedo we wore on the beach in Newport Beach.

Sachi said...

I knew by the end of week 1 in grad school together that you were going to be a phenomenal teacher someday. I'm mostly excited for all those fledgling learners who will get to be inspired by the spark of excitement and ingenuity you'll no doubt bring to the classroom. I look forward to hearing more as the legend continues. Meanwhile, I may stay in school forever. I just applied for another joint degree... so the paycheck idea is still a distant myth :)