Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Proud To Be A Cougar

When I first arrived at BYU back in 2000 I was not pro-BYU. I didn't try and hide my disdain for the institution or the sports teams. It took me a little while to grow in my appreciation for the school and what it stands for. I was fortunate enough to get to know some of the student-athletes at BYU and came to appreciate their role in spreading what BYU stands for. From the beginning of their careers, they are told that they are more than mere student-athletes as they have the great opportunity to spread an important message through their abilities; a type of pressure and a type of blessing most colleges do not place on their student-athletes. After a few years that were more forgettable off the field than on (which is saying a lot as those were forgettable years on the field too), BYU has made amends. Today, I feel proud to say I got a significant part of my education there and will forever be a Cougar. Here is a link to a major article placed on ESPN.com:


This article should make all those that stand for the same important message proud of BYU and the young men carrying it to new places.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

GO COUGARS!

Cristi said...

I guess I could join you guys in saying "Go Cougars" but I didn't make the cut. I had to attend the lesser BYU's.