Monday, April 7, 2008

Reading...And More Reading

I thought I would post a blog that included some of my favorite readings from this semester. And yes, I read all I was supposed to for the YEAR, not just this semester. The readings for last semester were mostly academic articles and dryer textbook types, but this semester we got into some more fun reads. I'll try and note the reason for reading these, but I recommend all the readings on this list. Think of it as a buffet full of food-for-thought. They are in no particular order.

1. Wayward Puritans by Kai T. Erickson - A historical look at the development of punishment in the Bay Colony of Mass. back in the day. Interesting history and an intriguing look at the growth of punishment and its relationship to power in our country.

2. The German Ideology by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels - A classic in its own right. Tough to read, but some priceless dialogue about key concepts found in our society.

3. Punishment and Modern Society by David Garland - This is a great one if reading something like the one listed above is too daunting. Garland summarizes the key points and concisely critiques and embellishes what many of the original thinkers were trying to get across. The title pretty much encapsulates its purpose.

4. Coercion by Douglas Rushkoff - This one is a fun read, kind of on par with The Tipping Point and Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. I say that because it deals with some heavier (although not as empirically based like Gladwell's) topics in a way that is approachable and interesting. It is a quick read and deals with how each of us is coerced in our behaviors, attitudes, purchases, etc.

5. "Moral Panic as Ideology" by Ted Chiricos - This one will be more difficult to find as it is an article written by one of my professors. It is pretty short and easy to read, but it discusses the media's role in shaping our opinions and ultimately our policy decisions on important topics. Really a great read.

There they are. The top five. Let me know if you need help getting any of them or want to borrow them.

1 comment:

Cristi said...

I think I already asked you this but are you going to work for the FBI or something cool like on the show Numbers?