Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Superpower

So I'm a little hurt. Trevor assembled his "top notch" superpower debate panel and I wasn't invited. I acknowledge the fact that I probably have spent a substantially less amount of time with my nose in a comic book or my eyes fixated on orcs than some, but hey, I can make a free throw. Ok, that was a low-blow. My bad. Either way, I think I could have added some jewiness to the discussion. Every complete panel needs that, right? And no, I do not think the best superpower would be the ability to create a recession-proof, high yield savings account.

I like the suggestions the aforementioned panel suggested. To read more about them, click here. Although I concur that time travel would be sweet, it should be noted that consensus has nearly been reached on the dangers of time travel. The ripple effect it may create could way heavily on the mind of the time traveler, much like the conscience "sterility touch". There is also great danger found in possessing such a powerful power. If you can time travel, you can change the past and that is something many powerful people are interested in doing. If you can fly, it is cool and may invite some odd requests, but I do not think it would lead down the same danky paths as time travel would.

May I suggest a great power that is often overlooked: huge cajones. I do not want this to be misinterpreted, so please read on. I am not suggesting anything in the literal sense, but am proposing that the gall to consistently do something that borders on insane is truly a superpower. Think of Batman or Iron Man. Both are normal, mortal men. Sure they have absurd amounts of green backs, but physically speaking, they are average joes. (Except for their bellies which are full of high quality eats prepared by their personal chefs. In turn, this leads to higher energy levels and longer life expectancies. They also have personal trainers and massage therapists which allow them to stay in peak physical shape while being relatively pain free. But besides that stuff...) But these cats are different in some way, right? (No, the difference is not found in the fact that they are fictional) If someone were to give you a few billion, would you decide to consistently put your physical, social, emotional, and mental life on the line to help a bunch of schmoes you have never met? Sounds like a typical, altruistic billionaire attitude, doesn't it? I think they do have a superpower and it is their gargantuan cajones.

Now some may say this doesn't qualify as a superpower. They may say that it doesn't qualify because there are actually people that demonstrate this ability. To this I respond you cannot prove that people do not demonstrate the others. However unlikely, it is impossible to truly know. Secondly, isn't it cooler to think of a super power as an uncommon attribute that both common-folk and super heroes both demonstrate? That way, we can have moments when we are teetering on the edge of being like a super hero. You know? Those moments where you run into a burning building or a cat from a tree branch or try to scale the side of a building with suction cups wearing your undies on the outside of nothing but spandex. Oh yes. That is all it takes. Just imagine: a man, a building, spandex, and monstrous cajones.

2 comments:

The Trevor said...

First of all, I make free throws.... half the time.

And none of us were ever comic book readers.

We all do like LOTR though... and orcs.

Unknown said...

Oh wow. It's moments like these that remind me how lucky I am to be married to you.